A mass of paired soft tissues present in the back of the nasal cavity which can be called pharyngeal tonsils.
Adenoids are a part of the lymphoid system and made up of the same types of lymphoid tissues.
Everybody has adenoids at birth and in childhood but gradually they shrink with aging and by adulthood, they disappear.
Structure and function of Adenoids
- Adenoid glands are a pair of patch tissues present behind the uvula on the upper part of nasopharynx.
- The upper surface of adenoids has a thin layer of ciliated epithelial cells covered by a thin film of mucus.
- Adenoids have a protective action against the infection. Many bacteria, viruses and other foreign bodies are trapped in the epithelial mucus membrane of adenoids and cilia helps in throwing them upwards.
Symptoms Of Enlarged Adenoids
- A hypertrophied or enlarged adenoid blocks the airflow through the nasal passage.
- Blocking of nose or stuffy nose.
- Noisy breathing. Talking as if nostrils are pinched.
- Frequent middle ear infection.
- Pain in ears.
- Problems in sleeping like suddenly waking up from sleep(Obstructive Sleep Apnoea).
- Frequent attacks of sinusitis.
- Sore throat
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Mouth breathing
- Swollen glands in neck.
Cause of Adenoids and the Scope of Homeopathic Treatment
- Adenoids are located at the back of the nasal cavity.
- They protect the body from infection to spread downward to the lungs.
- They are present at birth and grow until the child is between the age of 3-5 years.
- They shrink around age 7.
- At the time of infection the adenoids enlarge and automatically come to normal size when the infection is gone.
- Homeopathy is highly effective in cases of Adenoids as it works upon the root cause of the disease and treats the patient on the basis of individualistic, holistic and dynamic approach. Thus Homeopathy treats the patient as a whole.
- In cases of adenoids, Homeopathy works by reducing the size of the enlarged lymphoid tissue, thus it also reduces the intensity of pain and difficulty in breathing in children.
- Homeopathy is a natural and safer mode of treatment with no side effects.
HOMEOPATHIC THERAPEUTICS OF ADENOIDS
- In children who have excessive sweating of the head.
- Calcarea carb is one of the best Homeopathic remedies for enlarged adenoids.
- The child is usually fat and flabby.
- The child is very sensitive to cold air and gets cold easily at every change of weather.
- He is very fond of eggs and does not like milk.
- At the same time, he likes to have many indigestible things like chalk, coal and pencils.
- His appetite may increase with the catarrhal symptoms.
- In cases where there is tonsillitis or enlargement of tonsils along with hypertrophy of adenoids.
- Baryta Carb is one of the best Homeopathic medicines for adenoids enlargement.
- The child has a catarrh of posterior nares.
- All sorts of glands swell and become hypertrophied.
- There may even be pus formation.
- It is one of the best Homeopathic remedies for hypertrophied adenoids when the child has great sensitivity to cold air and low temperatures.
- There may be a tubercular history in the family.
- The child may seem to be mentally deficient.
- Prominently indicated Homeopathic medicine for adenoids that regrow after surgery.
- The symptoms guiding the use of Kali Sulph are a blocked nose, mouth breathing and snoring.
- Yellow coloured nasal discharge may be seen.
- In cases where there is a constant sense of obstruction, Sanguinaria Nitrica is one of the best Homeopathic medicines for swollen adenoids.
THUJA OCCIDENTALIS :
- When there is a greenish discharge from the nose and mucous membrane.
- There may be a feeling of painful pressure at the root of the nose.