Definition: It refers to inflammation of tonsils- two oval-shaped pads of tissue at the back of the throat- one tonsillitis on each side.
Tonsils form a part of the lymphatic system.
Tonsils work by trapping the germs coming in through the mouth and nose.
Common Age Group
- In children (5 to 15 years of age).
Causes of Tonsillitis
- Bacterial and viral infections. Mostly caused by Streptococcus Pyogenes.
- Abuse of antibiotics.
- Coughing or sneezing. (From one person to another).
- Adults who have Immune deficiency conditions like HIV.
- Hyperglycemic or Diabetic patients.
- By consuming excessive cold drinks, cold food like ice-creams etc.
- In some patients due to deficiency of Vitamin-D leading to recurrent tonsillitis.
Tonsils become swollen, inflamed with pain during deglutition and develop a gray or white coating of exudates.
CHRONIC TONSILLITIS OR QUINSY:
Persistent infection of tonsils at the slightest exposure develops the condition of chronic tonsillitis.
An infection creates a pocket of pus next to tonsil, pushing it towards the opposite side.
Usually caused by Epstein Barr Virus.
Causes: Severe swelling in the tonsils, fever, sore- throat , rash and fatigue.
Streptococcus, a bacteria that infects the tonsils and throat, is called Strep Throat.
1. Throat pain: Most common symptom. Pain may last more than 48 hours. Even empty swallowing may cause pain.
2. The pain may be referred to the ears.
3. High to moderate fever.
4. Hoarseness of voice.
5. Severe lethargy, feverishness or low- grade of fever may accompany acute tonsillitis.
6. Headache or heaviness of head.
7. Sometimes, foul odor from the mouth is affected with Strep Throat.
8. Children may also complain of abdominal pain.
9. There may be dry cough associated with tonsillitis.
10. Difficulty in swallowing any type of food.
11. Children may also have a decreased appetite with irritability.
HOMEOPATHY AND ITS SCOPE IN TONSILLITIS:
- Homeopathy is highly effective in cases of Tonsillitis by removing the root cause of the disease. As tonsillitis is common among the children, Homeopathy is safe and natural in treating most of the cases.
- Homeopathic medicines help in treating tonsillitis by avoiding unnecessary surgical removal of tonsils.
- Homeopathic treatment also boosts up the immunity in such patients.
- Here are top 5 Homeopathic medicines for Tonsillitis:
- Useful in red, congested and inflamed tonsils.
- Key indications: Pain in throat at the time of swallowing.
- The tonsils are often affected by taking any cold things : cold drinks, ice- creams or by exposure to cold air.
- The throat pain is relieved by warm drinks.
- The main symptom guiding towards Belladonna: First stage of inflammation with extreme redness.
2. PHYTOLACCA DECANDRA:
- Tonsils are dark red or bluish red in color.
- There is much pain at the root of the tongue and soft palate.
- Swelling especially at the right side.
- Sharp shooting pain into ears on swallowing.
- Aggravation: Hot drinks or hot food.
3. MERCURIUS SOLUBILIS:
- The key symptoms to prescribe are :Pain in throat, congestion of tonsils and unable to drink or eat anything.
- There is more salivation from the mouth.
- Pain is worse at night.
- The patient feels thirsty though, there is more salivation.
4. HEPAR SULPH:
- Marked tendency to suppuration. When swallowing, there is a sensation of a splinter or plug -like in the throat.
- There is quinsy with tonsil suppuration of tonsils.
- The patient is very chilly and cannot tolerate any cold air or cold water.
- Tonsils are aggravated by eating or drinking anything cold.
5. BARYTA CARBONICA:
- First grade medicine for chronic tonsillitis.
- After the acute attack passes, tonsils look larger than with the last cold.
- Physically and mentally, the child is very weak.
- Most common symptom is whenever he catches a cold first, it attacks the tonsils or throat.
- Children sweat more from their feet.
- On every cold or change of weather, the patient gets a rattling respiration.